Sunday, November 1, 2009

Now that I'm All Natural!

So as you know I've done the "Big Chop" and I'm happy. I did not wake up with the intention of doing a big chop. But my hair was lookinf so horrible with two texture hair. Literally my hair looked like a rats nest, but to be honest I just did not have the patience to transition. Now that the weather is cold, I'm regretting it. But when summer comes I'll have a nice length hair to play with !!
Responses to my hair cut : My co-workers have given me very positive feedback. A few people have commented that I should just keep it this short, because it looks nice. My brother has not been very positive about the cut, but then again I really did not expect him to understand. I'm a little nervous about how my relatives are going to respond. I don't go to a lot of family functions so if they hate my hair, it won't affect my life to much.

Why I went Natural?: Most people who know me, know that my signature style is any form of an "up sweep". My relaxed hair was very fragile and It would break as fast as it would grow not matter how gentle I treated it. I really never enjoyed my hair. I could not use a curling iron on my hair every day and I could not sleep in rollers because they hurt my head and forget about "wrapping" my hair, that just did not work at all. It got to the point that I would put off washing my hair for as long as I could, which was about two weeks. I dreaded doing my hair and because I neglected it during the week (wearing in a pony tail ever day or a bun) when it came to wash day I would experience a lot of breakage. I've had my hair braided, weaved and I even wore wigs and I've always felt fake. I just wanted hair I could rely on. So going natural seems like the logical solution. Whatever grows out of my head is mine and it is what it is. If it's curly today it will be curly tomorrow unless I blow it out. And if someone likes my hair, it feels good because it's MY HAIR. The second reason I went natural is that the chemicals were thinning out my hair. I rather wear an afro than to be bald by the time I'm 50. Being natural and letting my hair be the way God intended feels more Authentic.

How do I feel now that I'm natural? I feel great!! I'm still getting used to having super short hair and I'm also learning what my hair likes and does not like. The experience has really taught me how to be brave and self accepting.

What do I use on my hair? I'm still learning what products work best on my hair, so I'm a bit of a product junkie at the moment. Right now since I conditioner wash every morning I use: Trader Joe's Nourishing Spa conditioner
Giovanni Leave-in Weightless conditioner Carols Daughter Balm mixed with a bit of Proclaim styling gel.
Twice a week I spritz my hair at night and do a 5 min scalp massage with oil.
My oil mixture: Organic EO's (essential oils): peppermint, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree Lavender and Lemongrass mixed with carrier oils: Mango, Aloe Vera, Coconut oil and Avocado oil.

It's been about a month and I definitely have, "hands in my hair" syndrome. I love my hair and the way it feels. Sometimes my curls stress me a bit because I have about 3 different textures of hair, but for the most part it's heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment